Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Misha Jones, 1953-2008

I received the news of Misha's death late Tuesday night Moscow time. Yesterday (Wed.), between meetings, all I could do was walk. Early on, I found myself in the center of Red Square, without knowing how I'd gotten there. I think I wanted to mourn Misha in the heart of Russia, but when I stood there, I realized, eto ne to. The real heart of the real Russia that Misha knew so well and loved as his own is far away, scattered in thousands of village kitchens, centered by hot tea and boiled potatoes. And so, I just kept walking, wherever my feet would take me. I probably covered 15 miles.

Misha was a mentor and a friend. There will be time in future days to muse on Misha's ideals and life work to empower local people in Russia. There will be time to enjoy good Mexican food and to reread the copy of Desert Solitaire that Misha gave me in Alaska. There may even be a time for a thoughtful reflection and a peaceful goodbye. But for now, Misha, the pain is great and you are dearly missed.

3 Comments:

Blogger leahz said...

www.pacificenvironment.org/mishajones

3:18 PM  
Blogger Dima Lisitsyn said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:55 PM  
Blogger Dima Lisitsyn said...

Today Misha could be just 65... He is always in our hearts. I know he looks at us from the heavens. Happy Birth Day, Misha! Will see you some day.
Dima and Natasha

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home