Sunday, January 25, 2009

--RE--

It is a time to
REnew hope,
REmake America, and
REjoin the world.

RE, a drop of golden sun indeed!

For the first time in several years, I was not embarrassed this week to travel abroad as an American. I did not hide my passport or disguise my accent. I even witnessed a group of Europeans offer spontaneous applause to the US. I nearly fell off my chair.

I traveled to Tromso, Norway, last week for the Arctic Frontiers Policy and Science conference. An event geared toward facilitating networking and high-powered connections on Arctic governance and commercial exploitation, enviros and indigenous were not the most welcome or integrated participants. But I nerded out on policy conversations and found distinct pleasure in playing a lefty role legitimized by the more radical--and acrimonious--Greenpeace representatives.

Arctic Norway in winter? Shockingly high prices, remarkably endearing people, and ironically beautiful in darkness.

1 Comments:

Blogger pennifer said...

Oooh, I can't wait to hear more about your trip. And I'd love to talk a bit of shop about TAP and Altai with you too. Let's find a time soonish? Weekend or weekday is good with me.

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home